There are three categories of firearms for purposes of Canadian law:

  • Non-restricted
  • Restricted
  • Prohibited

Non-restricted firearms are any rifles and shotguns that are neither restricted nor prohibited. Most common long guns are non-restricted, as would be used for hunting or target shooting and recreation, but there are a few exceptions.

According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

  • a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
  • a semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
  • a rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);

The Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:

  • a handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less;
  • a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
  • a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
  • a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
  • any automatic firearm and any converted automatic firearm;

In most cases, when a class of firearm is deemed to be prohibited, current owners of that type of firearm are “grandfathered” and granted permission to own and purchase firearms of that specific type. For this reason, nearly all prohibited firearms can still be sold but only to properly accredited buyers. The grandfathered prohibited categories are: Full Automatic, Converted Automatic, Assault Rifles (two classes), and Section 12(6) Handguns (.25 calibre, .32 calibre, and/or barrel length under 105mm). A seventh class exists for inheriting a prohibited class handgun (12.6) under very specific circumstances. There also exists a category comprised of firearms which have been prohibited outright, and which cannot be owned by any individual in Canada under any circumstance.

Current Firearms Classification Info

There is a lot of confusion concerning our current firearm classes, we offer the following simplified general information for your guidance only. Contact your Local Firearms Officer or the CFC for further details Alberta Phone # 1-800-731-4000

There are the following Firearm classes: Non Restricted, Restricted, Grand Fathered Prohibited and Prohibited. Any person is eligible to apply for a P.A.L. (Possession & Acquisition License) for both Non-restricted and Restricted Firearms. It is generally accepted that you join an Approved Gun Club before you acquire a Restricted Firearm, day range passes are acceptable, if the facility offers this service. There are six different Grandfathered Prohibited classes. You had to possess (or have applied to possess) a firearm in each class prior to the class being created, in order to be grandfathered into that class. The classes are separate, because you are in one class does not make you eligible for another. If you do not currently possess a firearm in a grandfathered class, you never can! These classes are:

  • 12.2: FA Full Automatic 
  • 12.3: CA Converted Automatic 
  • 12.4: OIC # 12 (OIC = Order in Council) A small class, examples are: Sterling MK6, Steyr AUG, Uzi carbine, Mod A and mini Uzi 
  • 12.5: OIC #13 A large class, examples are: FN FAL, H&K, AK47, Thompsons etc. 
  • 12.6: Handgun All .25, .32 (some exceptions) and handguns with a barrel length of 105mm and less. Registered before 14 Feb 1995
  • 12.7: Prohibited Grandfathered by inheritance

Your PAL should have all your classes listed on the back, if you think you should have a class that is not listed, you can have your PAL amended. You may not have lost that class just because it is not listed. If you have something interesting in this area contact MilArm and we will explain your options. Yes, you may have more options than simply surrendering the arm, but don’t delay. There are many errors and misunderstandings concerning the classifications of different firearms.

Here at MilArm Co.Ltd we deal in all classes of firearms. We supply both private citizens and Government Agencies, from coast to coast. While we do not support all the current facets of our firearm control system, we will follow the law, all our firearms are registered or are in the process of being so.

If you have any concerns regarding any intended purchase, please phone or e-mail us .



Registration has been required on restricted firearms for several generations. Non-restricted firearms have historically not required any registration. However, since 1998, non-restricted guns have needed to be registered to the owner. As of April 2012 Universal registration of non-restricted long guns ceased to occur, except arms sold in Quebec. The Provincial government of Quebec is challenging the Federal governments authority to disband its long gun registry and is maintaining a de facto registration until the matter can be resolved in the courts.

We frequently encounter nonregistered non-restricted firearms offered for sale. This is not a problem, as these can be successfully bought and sold since the elimination of Universal registration. Restricted firearms that we purchase are registered into our inventory immediately; consigned guns are transfered at the time of sale. 

It is unlawful to come into possession of a firearm without properly registering it before accepting it, whether through purchase, inheritance, or any other means (other than temporary lending between two appropriately licensed persons). Do not be mislead into believing that an unregistered longarm can be sold without registration.

Restricted and prohibited firearms must be registered in order to be sold or consigned. Dealers can still register some unregistered restricted firearms. There is no amnesty in place for unregistered prohibited firearms. Any firearm that cannot be transferred, due to a lack of registration, may still have value for its parts. The receiver or frame of such a gun must be destroyed.



Non-restricted firearms (most rifles and shotguns) must be unloaded prior to transportation. It is advisable to transport them in some kind of container if possible, and to keep them in an area of the vehicle where they cannot be seen. They must be stored out of sight in your locked vehicle if you need to leave the vehicle for any reason.

Restricted (and prohibited) firearms, in addition to being unloaded, must be disabled with a trigger lock or similar device, and be locked inside an opaque locking case. You are expected to travel by a reasonably direct route from your residence to the point of sale. Before transporting any restricted or prohibited firearm, you must obtain an Authorization to Transport (ATT) by calling 1-800-731-4000 (at the prompts, press 1 for English or 2 for French, and 5 for the Chief Firearms Office for Northwest Services in the Edmonton area). Have your Registration Certificate handy, as well as your firearms license (if applicable).

If you are currently unlicensed, you may be refused an ATT if you are selling only a portion of the restricted firearms that are registered to you. Unlicensed individuals are expected to either (a) have a license application in place, or (b) be selling all of their firearms rather than obtain a license.

Please phone us if you have any concerns about your ability to conform to transportation regulations when bringing your firearms to us.



We buy and consign firearms of all types, whether large collections or individual pieces. We have successfully sold several larger groups, and hundreds of individual guns. We offer competitive consignment rates (determined by value of the item) and guarantee immediate payout when sold.

The decision whether to sell or consign is arrived at by mutual agreement. Consignment is best suited to maximizing profit when no time constraints exist. For fast settlement, we may buy an entire collection at fair market value. We prefer to purchase whenever possible, as it allows more discretion in determining a price that matches the market. On the other hand, we prefer to consign specialized firearms (high dollar items, custom guns, etc.) to both maximize the seller’s profit and minimize our risk in hard-to-determine markets.
Consign, Trade or Sell and you will receive:

Value under $300
Value $300 to $1000
Value over $1000

Ammunition, reloading equipment and components, holsters and other accessories may be considered for purchase if sufficient quantity or market demand exists. MilArm will advise a modest cash purchase price only for these type of goods.



Canadian Law generally recognizes the executor of an estate to have temporary licensing and authority equivalent to that of the deceased owner, for the purpose of disposition of the firearms. As such, an executor can negotiate the sale or consignment of the firearms in the estate and can obtain authorization to transport the firearms to the dealer of his or her choice. Disposition of firearms under this provision must be carried out within a “reasonable” period of time.

Similar privilege exists for trustees acting on the behalf of aged or infirm individuals. A legal document of authority over the owner’s property is required by the Firearms Registry when transfers are applied for.
In addition to the above, the Canadian Firearms Centre will require a copy of the deceased persons "death certificate", and a copy of the portion of the Last Will and Testament of the deceased which names the Executor/trix.
You will also require a copy of RCMP form # RCMP GRC 6016, Declaration of authority to act on behalf of an estate.

Click here: RCMP- GRC Form 6016



I’ve found several items that I’m interested in. What forms of payment do you accept, and how can I place an order?

We accept orders placed by phone, fax, e-mail, as well as purchases made in person at our location. Money order, wire transfer, and credit card transfers ship immediately. Personal shoppers may also pay by debit (Interac) card. VISA and MasterCard are the only credit cards we currently accept.
As you might have noticed also, we are well under way to having a full e-commerce roll-out available to allow you to purchase right on our web-site.

Your website has about a hundred items my husband would be interested in. Do you offer gift certificates?

Yes, gift certificates are available in any amount. Cash back (or "change") on a gift certificate is not permitted.

Do I pay my provincial tax as well as GST on mail-order purchases?

We charge the 5% GST on all retail sales and orders delivered to Canadian addresses (or the combined HST if it applies in your home province). We do not collect the provincial sales tax for other provinces.

There is a particular gun that I have been searching for, if I tell you what I’m looking for, can you call me if you find one?

We do not have the ability to keep “wish” lists for people. Sign up for our semi-regular e-mail postings at milarm@telus.net, this is your best way to receive advance notification of new items and specials. 

Your gun lists show a gun I’m interested in, but there isn’t a picture of it. Will you be posting a picture of it soon?

While new firearms may have an image posted, used firearms may not. If you are seriously contemplating the purchase of one of our listed firearms and cannot travel to inspect it in person, feel free to request that an image be e-mailed to you. Expect a couple of days for us to process the request. Keep in mind that photos sometimes look better than the real item (worn, silvered edges sometimes appear like bright, shiny bluing), and that a photograph is not a guarantee of condition.

Obviously, a new gun must come with a warranty. What do I do if an item requires warranty repair?

All warranty issues with regard to new firearms should be addressed to the manufacturer and/or Canadian importer of that firearm, who should be able to name an authorized repair centre in Canada. We are not gunsmiths and are not authorized to perform repairs on behalf of firearm companies.
Please contact us for assistance as to where you can get an item under warranty serviced.

Some manufacturers may not have a repair centre in Canada or even in North America. Others (particularly Asian makers) may not offer any factory warranty at all.
Please take careful note that unless proper authorizations are obtained beforehand, sending a gun to the Unites States for repair could result in its confiscation and destruction. You must check to see what permission is required from both governments, ensure that you have proper paperwork proving your ownership, and make certain that the reason for its transport is fully documented.

Some friends are going to the U.S. next month for a hunting trip, and I was thinking of tagging along. Is it tricky to cross the border with a hunting rifle?

As a result of new border policies, special permission is now required to enter the United States with a firearm. This permission must be applied for at least six months in advance. Once approved, it remains in place for you and your declared firearm for one year. If you or your buddies haven’t planned half a year ahead it’s not likely you will be making that trip.

Do you offer monthly installment plans and layaways?

On firearms that are in our inventory, we offer a 90-day maximum layaway period with a 20% minimum deposit. If you cannot pay the minimum we cannot put the firearm on layaway. Consigned firearms are not eligible for lay-a-way under any circumstances. We do not offer any payment plans past these layaway terms, except in the case of exceptionally valuable firearms under very specific circumstances. There is a 2% interest charge per month, after 30 days, on all outstanding balances.

You have the gun of my dreams, but I’m still waiting for my firearms license. What can I do?

Once the firearm is paid for, we are happy to store it until such time as your license arrives and it can be registered to you. Or a spouse, relative, or friend with a valid license can accompany you at the time of purchase and register it, and then transfer the registration to you once you are licensed.

What exactly happens when the firearm I’m buying is registered to me?

The seller (either a business or an individual) must initiate the phone call to transfer the registration to you. Individuals selling firearms may call 1-800-731-4000, press 1 for English, and press 2 to initiate the transfer. The seller should be able to provide the Registration Certificate number for the firearm being transferred, his license number (Possession and Acquisition License (PAL), the certificate number as well as serial number of the firearm. The Canadian Firearms Centre may require "verification" of any particular arm not registered.

Both the seller and the buyer must provide information about themselves for the purpose of identification, which may include full name, current address (and/or land location), phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and firearms license number (PAL). A buyer who has a Possession Only License (POL) is not an eligible buyer.

A Reference Number will be provided at this initial call, and should be recorded and kept by both parties. This provides a means of checking on the status of the transfer application.

If you wish to check the status of the transfer application, call 1-800-731-4000, press 1 for English, and press 2 to enquire about your transfer. Provide the reference number given previously.

Once the application to transfer the registration of the firearm has been completed, two numbers will be issued. A Transfer Authorization Number (TAN) will be provided to the seller as confirmation of the transfer. The same TAN will be provided to the Buyer, along with the new Registration Certificate number (a certificate will follow by mail). Both parties should record their respective numbers.

For restricted or prohibited firearms, after the registration has been successfully transferred, you must obtain an Authorization to Transport (ATT) to remove the firearm from the seller’s location and transport it to your residence or location of storage. An ATT can be obtained by calling 1-800-731-4000, pressing 1 for English, and pressing 5 to reach the Chief Firearms Office for Northwest Services (located in Edmonton). You may be required to provide the Reference Number, TAN, Certificate Number, and/or serial number of the firearm. Please note: Buyers who are purchasing from a business must apply for their own ATT, as businesses are no longer permitted to request an ATT on behalf of their customers.

(The long-term ATT, described below, does not appear to contain a provision for the initial transport of a firearm to your home from the point of purchase.)

You are required to follow all safety and transportation regulations while in transit with your firearm. In the case of a non-restricted firearm, it must be unloaded. It is advisable to place it out of sight inside your vehicle. If you leave the vehicle for any reason, you must place it out of sight in a secure, locked portion of the vehicle.

For a restricted firearm, it must be unloaded, secured with a trigger lock or similar device, and secured (without ammunition) in an opaque locked container. The route must be reasonably direct, and must be completed within the timeframe specified on the Authorization to Transport.

How do I get permission to take my handguns to the range?

The same Authorization to Transport (ATT) described above can be requested for each and every trip from your residence to the shooting range. Alternatively, you can apply for a long-term ATT. The long-term ATT can be obtained as a blanket permission to transport any or all restricted and prohibited firearms for which you hold a Registration Certificate. It may be valid for the term of your PAL as long as you are a member in good standing at an approved target facility.  The long-term ATT allows transit to any range within the province (as well as transport to a gunshop or gunsmith for appraisal or repair). You can request a long-term ATT form by phone at 1-800-731-4000 (press 1 for English and press 2 for “ordering forms”).

Can a hunting license, WIN card, or driver’s license be used in place of a firearms license?

No. For the purpose of purchasing and registering firearms, only a valid Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) may be used. For purchasing ammunition, you may use either a PAL or Possession Only License (POL).

Do I have to destroy my high-capacity magazines?

High-capacity magazines must be altered in such a way that they can no longer hold more than the legal limit of cartridges or shells. While no specific guidelines are given, it is generally accepted that the modification must be semi-permanent at least (that is, requiring the use of a tool or other device to reverse it, such as a steel rivet that would have to be drilled out to be removed). Since virtually any modified magazine can be returned to an illegal condition with enough effort, your intent and the degree of modification performed on your magazines may be scrutinized by a court on an individual basis. All of the magazines that we sell are carefully converted to the legal limit.